Being up to date and active on LinkedIn is important to be visible, finable and credible… but where do you start?
Here are the 21 steps to the perfect LinkedIn presence.
Be Current on LinkedIn
Having a half-complete profile is a crime. Take the time to build your current position and back story, and infuse the future aspirations into your profile.
- Allocate time each month to ensure your profile is a current reflection of who you are, who you help and how you help your ideal clients.
- Add in new achievements, courses, qualifications, and new services.
- Do you have a photo and does it look like you? Having a photo makes your profile 14 times more likely to be viewed.
Be Active on LinkedIn
Having a well positioned up-to-date profile is only half of the equation. Increase your visibility through regular activity.
- Create an action plan to leverage the profile you have created.
- Each week share helpful updates each day to build your authority. Not all has to be original content, but can be found content with your insights.
- Interact with your network, by adding relevant comments to their updates. This gives you visibility not only to your connections, but the connections of your connections.
- Interact in groups, but starting discussions and joining discussions. This gives you exposure to people you aren’t yet connected to.
- Once a month share a long-form post, which could be content created for your LinkedIn audience, or repurposed from your website. Your connections may choose to read it and interact (giving exposure to their network) but it may also be featured in Pulse which gives you exposure outside of your network.
Be Creative on LinkedIn
Display it, rather than just say it. LinkedIn used to be all about the words but now there are many visual aspects to make your profile colourful.
- Add a background image to communicate what you do visually. This could be through a branded message, an image showing you in action, an image to show the industry you are in, or it could be used to add personality.
- How can you use your Profile image to stand out? Do something different to others by using a bold branded background (colour or branding), add context by being on location, or included a tool of the trade.
- Leverage the rich media sections of your Summary and Experience to showcase your work, what you do, where you speak and what you have achieved, through sharing video, documents, images and links.
- Share your ebooks, print books, articles and interviews in the Publications section, with links to view, download or purchase.
- Share relevant projects you have been involved in and add team members to connect yourself to other influential and well-respected people.
Be Connected on LinkedIn
The power of LinkedIn is in the networking, which is done through connecting and interacting with people.
- Create a connection strategy aligned to your business goals and have a plan to consistently build your network.
- Connect to people who are your target market, or who may know people in your target market, as well as people you physically meet.
- Allocate time to processes connection requests and set reminders for follow up.
Be Personal on LinkedIn
People connect with people, and in connection we look for things in common or things we admire.
- Use your Summary to start a conversation and share your story in to give an insight into who you are, how you work and what you are passionate about.
- Use conversational language rather than corporate-speak and write as if you are having a conversation with your ideal client rather than spouting a list of achievements and services.
- Talk with rather than at. Ask questions in updates to engage your audience. People love to share opinion and ideas.
- Don’t overshare, but do infuse your personality into your profile and presence. Infuse a few out of work interests and passions, share causes you care about and any volunteer work or projects that excite you. Its not just about paid work.
- Video adds another layer to your profile and allows people to connect through your personality.
If you would like to get strategic in your approach to LinkedIn and build a professional but personal brand, get in touch with us. We build and transform profiles, mentor clients in using LinkedIn and create and manage content strategy.
The Ultimate LinkedIn Cheat Sheet
Thanks to Leisurejobs for creating this infographic.